Pandan Steam Cake
Updated: Aug 26, 2020
This recipe makes 14-15 x medium cakes
125 ml Water
40 g Pandan Leaves
For the Sponge mix
120 g Castor Sugar
50 g Whole Egg
90 ml Pandan Juice
50 g Coconut milk
100 ml Vegetable Oil
3 g Salt
250 g Plain Flour
10 g Baking Powder
To make the pandan juice
Cut the pandan leaves in to small tiny little pieces. Place the water and cut pandan leaves into a food processor and process until the water turns dark green. Strain the leaves over a strainer and press the leaves to get as much liquid as possible. Weight out 90 ml of the juice and set aside until ready to use.
To make the sponge mix
1. In a separate bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together and add the salt.
2. In a stand mixer bowl, place the whole eggs and castor sugar and whisk until the mix are thick and fluffy.
3. Gradually add in 1/3 of the oil then alternating with the dry mix, ending with the dry mix.
4. Once all the oil and dry mix are incorporated, with the help of two spoons or an ice cream scoop, drop the thick mix in to a cupcake paper/silicone leaving 2 cm gap from the top.
5. Place the sponge mix on to a bamboo steamer over rapid boiling water, close the lids and let it steam for 15 minutes without removing the lid.
6. Once 15 minutes is up, remove the lid, then transfer the cake away from the steamer as soon as possible to avoid it getting wet from the steam.
Note: If you have a small bamboo steamer like mine, you can steam the cake separately.
7. Let the cake cool slightly and enjoy!