I don't usually post cooking post but I thought I'd share with you one of this quick and easy 10 minutes flatbread for a lazy day. The flatbread do not contain any yeast and do not require any long kneading nor baking in the oven. The even better traits about this bread is that you can pre cook them and freeze them to plan ahead for your busy schedule.
I actually learn how to make this quick bread from a chef I was assisting a few months ago when he was preparing for staff lunch and I thought it was a pretty impressive how quickly he whipped up such a quick bread for 15 people. It just goes to show that I will never stop learning and it is sometimes great to step away from my usual comfort zone.
I have also included my home curry recipe to go with the flatbread. We usually serve the curry with rice as well so if you are not planning to have the curry with rice, I would recommend that you increase the recipe for the flatbread.
This flatbread need to have baking powder and yoghurt in order to achieve the delicate and light texture. The acidity in the yoghurt reacts with the baking powder when heated causing the dough to aerate giving you a soft texture without the addition of yeast.
Note: If you are not serving rice with the curry, you can increase the flatbread recipe.
175 g Plain Flour
12 g Baking Powder
175 g Natural Yoghurt
pinch Sea Salt flakes
Garlic Herb Butter
4 cloves garlic
40 g Unsalted Butter
1 tbsp. Sea Salt Flakes
Qs. Black Pepper
3- 4 tbsp.Olive Oil
500 g Chicken Breast/thigh slices cut to 4 - 5 cm pieces
1/2 Brown onions, sliced
1-2 Bird's eye chillies - finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp Garlic Cloves
1 tbsp Finely chopped ginger
1 tbs Cumin Powder
1 tsp. Ground Turmeric
1tbs Garam Masala
1tsp. Mustard seeds
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tomatoes, cut to big chunks
250 ml Chicken Stock
120 g Green Beans, washed and ends trimmed and halved
2 tbsp Tomato paste
qs. Salt - to taste
qs. Black Pepper - to toast
2 tbsp Yoghurt
1 bunch Parsley - chopped
1/2 Juice of Lemon
Qs Steamed rice of your choice
For the Garlic Butter Flat Breads
1. Place all the ingredients for the flatbread in a bowl and mix with your hand or a wooden spoon and stir to combine.
2. Transfer the ingredients onto you work surface then knead the dough for 1 to 2 minutes until it comes to a rough dough. You do not need to knead this dough for a long period of time, just enough to bring them together.
3. Place the dough back into the bowl then cover to leave aside for 1 hour to allow the dough to hydrate.
4. Meanwhile, just before the flat breads are ready, prepare the garlic butter by melting down the butter then add in the minced garlic and sea salt.
When you are ready to make the bread, dust the work bench with some flour then transfer the dough onto it. With the palm of your hands, flatten the dough then divide them to 4 slices. The flatbread will puff up slightly when cooked so make sure you don't roll it too thick.
5. Heat a grill pan or a hot plate over medium to high heat.
6. Place the flat bread onto the hot place for a 1 to 2 minutes each side or until they turn crispy and darken slightly. Before removing the flat bread from the hot plate, brush both sides generously with the garlic butter. Serve warm
7. The flatbreads can be pre cooked and freeze for up to 3 months. Simply thaw and reheat in the oven when you are ready to use.
For the Chicken Curry
Place the olive oil, all the spices, garlic, ginger and chilli in a cook pot and stir over medium heat until fragrant. Toss in the onions and stir for a few minutes followed by the chicken.
Continue to cook for a few minutes until the outside of the cut chicken turn white then add in the chicken stock, tomato paste, cut tomatoes and green beans. Continue to simmer over low heat for 5 - 10 minutes, then add in the yoghurt. Cover the pot with a lid and continue to simmer for another 15- 20 minutes. Once ready, stir in the chopped parsley and serve. The curry sauce will continue to thicken slightly after being cooked. Cook it out more if you want it to be less watery or add more stock if they become too thick. Season with salt and pepper.