Updated: Aug 21, 2021
Equipment: Medium muffin pan, muffin patty pans
YIELD: 12 x medium size Muffins
60 g Unsalted Butter - room temperature
1 tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste
150 g Caster Sugar/ Granulated sugar
100 g Brown Sugar (light)
60 g Vegetable Oil (I use grapeseed)
100 g Egg (2 large eggs) - room temperature
300 g Full Cream Milk - Warm
220 g Milk chocolate chips or chunks
60 g Extra Milk Chocolate Chips for toppings
1. Sift together the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bi-carbonate of soda and salt into a bowl. Pre heat the oven to 180°C. Line muffin patty pans into medium muffin trays.
2. In a stand mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the room temperature butter with the caster sugar and brown sugar until there are no lumps of butter then add in the oil and continue to mix over high speed until the mixture are light and fluffy. (this process takes approximately 3 minutes.
3. Add the room temperature eggs into the butter mixture one at a time while continuously mixing, only adding the next addition of egg when the mixture have come together. Continue to mix until the mixture is smooth. The mixture will be slightly runny at this point.
4. Add in the sifted dry ingredients in two or three additions ensuring to scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl until the mixture comes together into a thick mix. Do not overmix or this can cause the muffin to become tough.
Once all the dry mix has been added, stream in the warm milk (you can microwave the milk prior to adding) and continue to mix, scraping the base of the bowl whenever necessary until the mixture is smooth and runny.
5. Transfer the muffin mixture into 12 large muffin paper pan all the way to the top, sprinkle the top with the additional chocolate chips, then bake in the pre heated over for approximately 25 minutes or when tested with a skewer, it comes out clean.
6. Remove the muffins from the tray once baked and serve warm or cold.