Apple Cinnamon Scrolls
Updated: Apr 10, 2022
If you like scrolls, you are going to love this apple cinnamon scrolls with home made salted caramel. This recipe consist of a Tang Zhong based bread that is perfect to yield a soft and fluffy texture that does not go dry overnight. Super simple to make and you can prepare, bake and enjoy them all in one day!
Try them out and let me know what you think 😄~!
YIELD: 9 x Cinnabuns
Baking Pan: 200mm deep square baking tin
Preparation time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Baking time: 20 -30 minutes
Bulk Proofing: 1 -2 hours
Final Proofing - 30 minutes -1 hour
100 g whole milk
25 g Bread Flour
360g Bread Flour
7 g Fine Salt
25g Castor Sugar/ Granulated Sugar
8g Instant Yeast
60 g Unsalted butter, softened
50 g Whole Egg - 1 medium egg
160 g Full Cream Milk - cold
APPLE PIE FILLING
1 Small granny smith green apple
1 Small Royal Gala red Apple
30g Unsalted Butter
80g Brown Sugar
½ tsp Ground cinnamon
BROWN SUGAR CINNAMON FILLING
180g Unsalted Butter
50g Light Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Cinnamon Powder
1/2 tsp Fine Salt
200g Caster Sugar
90g Unsalted salted butter, room temperature cut up into 6 pieces
120ml Cream 35% Fat
1 tsp Sea Salt Flakes
50 g Boiling water
80 g Caster Sugar
FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
1. Heat the cream in a microwave until it starts to boil. Alternatively you can boil the cream in a small saucepan. Keep hot and set aside.
2. In a separate saucepan, heat the sugar over medium heat while stirring it gently. Do not vigorously mix the sugar too much or this can cause to sugar to crystalize.
3. Once the sugar has fully melted, turn the heat off, then add in the room temperature butter. Gradually stream in the hot cream and whisk until well incorporated.
4. Turn on the heat again on low and continue to cook the caramel while gently whisking for 1 minute. This will thicken the caramel slightly upon cooling. If you want a really liquid caramel, you can skip the extra cooking step.
5. Transfer the caramel into a sterilized jar and reserve.
Note: The caramel can keep in a clean jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
FOR THE APPLE FILLING
1. Squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl and add in 2 tablespoon of cold water.
2. Peel and core the apples. Dice the apples to approximately 1 cm cubes then toss them into the lemon water.
3. In a skillet or a saucepan, melt the butter over low to medium heat. Add in the apples, sugar and cinnamon and cook while stirring constantly until the apples are just tender. The cooking time will take only 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook the apples. You do not want the apples to become mushy.